Ralph Waldo Emerson — “The health of the eye seems to demand a horizon. We are never tired, so long as we can see far enough.” Fair enough! It is the eyes that give us the vision to perceive the beauty all around us. Handy feels that a good eyesight is a boon and we should practice keeping our eyes in a healthy condition every day.
Here is a list of some simple exercises that will help you to improve your eyesight:
- Focus change – This exercise works on the concept of deep focusing. It is advisable to do this from a seated position. To begin your exercise, hold your index finger a few inches away from the eye and focus on it. Then, slowly move your finger away from your face with your focus remaining intact on the finger. Look away for a moment into the distance. Again, bring your focus back on your outstretched finger and gradually bring it back towards your eye. Again, focus on something in the distance. Repeat this exercise a couple of times every day.
- 20-20-20 rule – Human eyes are not supposed to remain glued to a single object for extended periods of time. Undoubtedly, in the digital world of today, most of the work is done on the computer which requires working on it all day long. The 20-20-20 rule helps prevent digital eye strain. When you are required to look at a computer screen for a long time, look at twenty feet away for twenty seconds, every twenty minutes. A simple rule, but it helps a lot to eliminate the stress on the eyes.
- Rolling – To relax your eyes, the eye-rolling exercise is good therapy. For performing this exercise, you need to roll your eyes up and down and side to side. Then, move your eyes in a circular motion. Repeat this exercise five to ten times to relax your eyes and feel the difference.
- Precautions – The best eye care method is to take the necessary precautions. Do not expose them directly to any strong source of light. It is always advisable to avoid looking directly at the sun, any artificial light, or shining objects. Direct rays of bright light are known to cause damage to the retina, sometimes causing irreversible damage. It is also good to maintain a distance of 22 to 28 inches from the computer screen as sitting too close or too far away may increase the strain on your eyes.
- Figure 8 – This exercise should be done from a seated position. Pick a point on the floor about ten feet in front of you and focus on it. Then, trace an imaginary figure 8 with your eyes. Keep tracing for thirty seconds and then switch directions. Repeat this a few times to help relieve the stress on your eyes.
In addition to these exercises, Handy suggests you go for regular eye check-ups to keep them in optimum health and catch any eye problems prematurely. Eat healthily, wear sunglasses, and know your family history of eye diseases to be alert.